Monday, September 27, 2010

My Favorite Blanky! :)

I can still remember my favorite blanket. I know having a blanky is cliché but we’ve all had one, if not that then something. Children grow so attached to things from birth, whether it be people or other physical things. When you think about it, one of the first things a child receives as a baby and a typical baby shower gift is a soft blanket set or receiving blanket. So naturally, it’s the first thing that a child seeks comfort in, other than the mother.
I can’t remember my first encounter with my blanky. I just know that somewhere along the road of my childhood, I fell in love with it. In fact, I still have it tucked safe away in storage. It’s still accessible to me so that if I ever want to, I can relive the memories I had with my blanket. This blanky was before the time where they had these extremely soft and silky manufactured fabrics, but it was soft enough for me. When folded up into a square it was plusher than the pillows on my bed. I can still remember sinking my head into the layers of cotton my blanket provided. When I wasn’t using my blanky as a pillow, it had the perfect look and warmth. The blanket was a soft yellow, almost off-white. It was rectangular in shape and was about the size of a baby’s crib. It was decorated with colorful designs that from far looked like polka dots, but were actually shapes of cribs, pacifiers and other baby related objects. The designs were light green and lavender. The four corners of the blanket were scrunched up, I guess to define the blanket a little more. I feel as though the scrunched corners made the blanket more feminine. It wasn’t just a rectangular piece of fabric; it had character.
When I was a toddler, my mother used to wrap me up in the blanket and tuck me tight into my bed. I felt so warm and cozy as if I were soaking myself in a hot bath. Nothing else mattered. It was just my blanky and I. I was so attached with my blanky that I would take it everywhere I went. I took it on family road trips to Virginia, Maryland and Florida. I took it to school, especially for Pre-K and Kindergarten, when we had scheduled nap times. Having my blanky with me put me right to sleep. They put down mats for us to sleep on but who needed a mat when I had my blanky.
After years of good times with my blanky, I finally let it go. I couldn’t walk around high school with a baby blanket, so I was forced to pack it away. I like to still think that I can still be wrapped in it fully, but I know I have grown to big for that. I keep it in storage so that one day I can give it to my child with hopes that they will experience the same joy I did with my childhood blanky.

No comments:

Post a Comment